What a year! 2022 went by in a flash. Somehow it’s already time to take stock of everything that’s happened in the ad tech world this year. Whether you’re a publisher or an advertiser, we’ve got you covered with a wrap-up of three top trends in ad tech and programmatic advertising for 2022.
🎯 Contextual Is Key
Sure, contextual marketing can get complicated. But, at the end of the day, contextual does relevancy, privacy, and recency better than traditional ID-based advertising. A fractured media market has created incredible opportunities for advertisers to use contextual targeting to connect with audiences during meaningful, memorable moments.
This is a huge deal, especially for brands trying to reach sports and entertainment fans. Connecting with these fans with traditional tactics like sponsorships has gotten more difficult (and more expensive), making contextual more crucial than ever. More on that:
- Breakthrough data processing technology from Moments.AI™ scours thousands of premium global publishers and analyzes content the same way a human brain does. This technology makes contextual segments actionable in milliseconds, offering cost-effective and efficient opportunities for brands.
- Advances in contextual marketing are closing the gap for brand safety and suitability.
- Our robust CTV solution comes with in-house server-side ad insertion, so you can match the context of the show or movie with ad content for a more topical, relevant, and smooth viewing experience. Contextual audience segments on CTV can also help you reach the right viewers.
🔒 Doubling Down On Privacy
We’ll spare you the “cookies crumbling” pun. Keeping ahead of shifting technology and privacy regulations is a competitive advantage for tech companies. A few reasons why:
- Can advertisers re-engage gamers on CTV? Sounds too good to be true, but a new pilot found a privacy-centric way to make it happen.
- Trust and transparency in advertising matter to brands, publishers, and consumers equally. A proper addressability solution can ensure that users have the transparency and controls that they desire to customize their advertising experience. At Smaato, we’re proud to partner with LiveRamp. By passing a “RampID” in the bid request, a cookieless person-based identity enables publishers, marketers, and advertisers to reach a person (or individual) in a privacy-centric manner across channels.
- Geotargeting and geofencing can offer privacy-compliant ways to reach relevant users without compromising their identity.
What’s Next for Ad Tech in 2023?
At Smaato and Verve Group, we’re proud of how we’ve grown during 2022 — and we’re not planning on stopping any time soon.
- In the age of GDPR and a shifting privacy landscape, advertising technology that doesn’t rely on identity and behavioral signals for targeting is a must. That’s why Verve Group (which includes Smaato) acquired Dataseat, which drives results using exclusively contextual signals. Dataseat created the world’s first fully transparent user acquisition DSP based entirely on contextual signals, and we can wait to see what’s next.
- With a focus on service, innovation, and helping our customers discover more ways to succeed, we’re prioritizing the growth of teams around the globe. (Do you know any great tech talent? We’re still hiring!)
What ad tech trends impacted you in 2022, and what does 2023 have in store for you? Let’s stay in touch.