Effective Date: May 25, 2018
The following guidelines and policies (“Demand Policies”) describe the mobile advertising standards applicable to any demand side platform, advertising network, or advertising agency (“Demand Partner”) using the Smaato Services. The Smaato Services (a) facilitate the delivery and insertion of Demand Partner advertisements (“Ads”) through publisher mobile websites and/or mobile applications to end-users and (b) may be composed of web pages available at www.smaato.com and software, including the SOMA™ SDK and the Smaato Demand Platform (SDX).
Smaato reserves the right to update these Demand Policies at any time. If an update includes material changes, Smaato shall provide notice of such update via email. By continuing to use the Smaato Services subsequent to such notice, Demand Partner agrees to abide by the updated version of these Demand Policies.
2. Prohibited Content
Demand Partner is prohibited from serving Ads that feature or promote any of the following content categories:
- Graphic or explicit violence (IAB25-2 (Extreme Graphic/Explicit Violence));
- Adult sexual content (IAB25-3 (Pornography));
- Discriminating, offensive, or profane material or hate content (IAB25-4 (Profane Content), IAB25-5 Hate Content));
- Weapons, weapon accessories, and ammunition (IAB26-1 (Illegal Content));
- Illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia (IAB26-1 (Illegal Content));
- Tobacco and tobacco accessories including, but not limited to electronic smoking devices (IAB9-9 (Cigars));
- Spyware, malware, viruses, illegal hacking, or other materials that are intended to damage or render inoperable software or hardware (IAB26-3 (Spyware/Malware));
- P2P file sharing, torrenting, or other content violating or infringing upon any third-party intellectual property rights (IAB26-2 (Warez), IAB26-4 (Copyright Infringement));
- Counterfeit goods (IAB26-4 (Copyright Infringement));
- Illegal products, activities, and services, including, but not limited to, “how-to” information on bomb-making, lock-picking, and similar topics (IAB26-1 (Illegal Content));
- Unmoderated user-generated content (IAB25-1 (Unmoderated UGC));
- Incentivized clicks and downloads (IAB25-7 (Incentivized));
- Content or material offering traffic generation or promoting fraudulent traffic (IAB26-1 (Illegal Content));
- Content or material making misleading, deceptive, or unrealistic claims (IAB26-1 (Illegal Content));
- Content or material pertaining to particular religions or spirituality, or advocating the superiority of a specific race/ethnic group, national origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, language, status as a veteran, or any other legally protected status (IAB23 (Religion & Spirituality), IAB25-5 (Hate Content));
- Uncategorized content (IAB24 (Uncategorized));
- Abuse support (IAB7-28 (Incest/Abuse Support));
- Substance abuse (IAB7-42 (Substance Abuse));
- Hunting and shooting content (IAB17-18 (Hunting/Shooting));
- Content or material promoting or containing links that are disparaging to Smaato or Smaato’s partners;
- Content promoting real-time bidding/supply-side platforms or advertising services outside of Smaato or Smaato’s partners.
- Content promoting cryptocurrency or containing links related to cryptocurrency miners.
3. Restricted Content
Demand Partner’s Ads may be permitted to feature or promote the following restricted content categories, provided that Demand Partner has appropriate controls to ensure that such Ads comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations of the country and jurisdiction in which the Ads are served:
- Alcohol content (IAB8-5 (Cocktails/Beer), IAB8-18 (Wine));
- Gambling or online casinos (if real currency is involved or if there is the ability to cash out) (IAB9-7 (Card Games));
- Lotteries (IAB3-7 (Government));
- Pharmaceutical or health products and services, including prescription medications (IAB7-5 (Alternative Medicine));
- Financial services (IAB13-1 (Beginning Investing), IAB13-2 (Credit/Debt & Loans), IAB13-4 (Financial Planning), IAB13-5 (Hedge Fund), IAB13-6 (Insurance), IAB13-7 (Investing), IAB 13-8 (Mutual Funds), IAB13-9 (Options), IAB13-10 (Retirement Planning), IAB 13-11 (Stocks));
- Political campaigning content (IAB11-4 (Politics)).
4. Technical Requirements
- Demand Partner’s destination URL must be written in a supported markup language (XHTML or HTML), viewable in mobile web browsers, and link to a working mobile website related to the applicable Ad.
- Ads that automatically redirect the end-user or initiate a download without end-user interaction (i.e., click, touch, etc.) are prohibited.
- Flashing, shaking, or misleading Ads (e.g., Ads imitating activities from known brands) are prohibited.
- “Click-to-call” phone numbers must connect end-users to the advertiser’s business. Toll or fee-based phone numbers that require additional payment by the caller are prohibited.
- Phone numbers must be functional (e.g., fax numbers are not permitted) and local or domestic to the Demand Partner’s Ad’s target country; phone numbers must use the correct format for the target country.
- Proper grammar conventions must be followed.
- Use of common text message abbreviations is permitted.
- Ads must be visible and render properly.
Prohibited Creative Ad Attributes
Demand Partner must not serve Ads with the following creative attributes:
- (1) Audio Ad (Autoplay)
- (3) Expandable (Automatic)
- (5) Expandable (User Initiated – Rollover)
- (8) Pop (including Over, Under, and Upon Exit)
- (9) Provocative or Suggestive Imagery
Smaato shall pass the above blocks in the bid requests within the “battr” field. Demand Partner must respect the Ad attributes of the bid requests.
Demand Partner shall include the following values with all bids sent through the Smaato Services:
- campaign ID (“cid”)
- The “cid”must not be ‘0’ or replaced with a demand or seat ID. The “cid” can contain any latin alphabet, number, or special characters except for semicolons (;).
- creative ID (“crid”)
- No passed parameter (including campaign ID, creative ID, or seat ID) should be randomized.
- seat ID
- Advertiser domain (adomain)
- The adomain must match the top-level domain for the advertiser landing page. App store destination adomains must represent the application’s equivalent URL, and not the full app store URL (e.g., the adomain of Age of Empires would be “ageofempires.com” and not “ensemblestudios.com” or “play.google.com/store/apps/[AppName]”).
- All adomains must be passed in the following format, with no additional sub-domains, paths, or characters: [AdvertiserName].com
- adomains should match the landing page URL and should not lead to:
- – an “under construction” landing page;
- – a parked domain;
- – a 404 error page or blank page.
- The iurl must be the actual creative image (or representative image), and not a link to an HTML page or generic placeholder image.
5. General Video Guidelines
- The recommended maximum duration for a video Ad is 30 seconds.
- Video Ads of more than 15 seconds in duration should be skippable or have a close button.
- Player controls, including play/pause and mute/unmute, are required.
- Video Ads are prohibited for the following ad space dimensions: 320×50, 300×50, 216×36, 168×28, 120×20.
- Autoplay video Ads must include the creative attribute (6) in the bid response.
- AdPods are not supported.
- Smaato supports VAST 4.0, 3.0, and 2.0.
- VAST InLine and Wrapper are permitted.
- Video Ads must only be served to video-enabled bid requests.
- Ads should be a minimum of 5 seconds and a maximum of 60 seconds in duration.
- VAST Wrapper must resolve into an in-line response with a media file.
- VAST XML responses must not be empty.
- No more than 3 VAST wrappers that redirect to one VAST in-line are permitted.
- Using Smaato as a VAST reseller platform is prohibited.
- VAST may not be wrapped and served on an in-banner placement.
- VAST must comply with the latest version of IAB OpenRTB specifications.
- Companion Banners are displayed as End Cards after the video completes.
- Smaato will indicate the relevant Resource type (Static, HTML or Iframe) in the bid request as requested by the publisher.
- Video BitRate: We recommend not sending video files below 250 kbps and above 4Mbps.
- Video Types are indicated in bid requests as follows:
- Outstream Video: imp.video.ext.outstream has a value 1
- Rewarded Video: imp.video.ext.rewarded has a value 1
- Instream Video: imp.video.startdelay has the value
- Pre-Roll: 0
- Mid-Roll: -1
- Post-Roll: -2
- Smaato supports VPAID 2.0.
- VPAID should strictly be used only for delivering interactive or dynamic content within the ad unit and not for any sort of client-side arbitration.
- VPAID is indicated in the api field on the Video object: imp.video.api = 2
6. Enforcement Policy
Any violation of these Demand Policies may result in the suspension or blocking of Demand Partner’s Ad on the Smaato Services, in Smaato’s sole discretion. Additionally, Smaato reserves the right to block Demand Partner’s other Ads on the Smaato Services or terminate Demand Partner’s account.
Demand Partner is responsible for ensuring compliance with these Demand Policies and all applicable local laws, rules, and regulations that may apply to Demand Partner’s use of the Smaato Services.
7. Privacy Shield Requirements
Demand Partner agrees to provide at least the same level of protection as is required under the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks, located at https://www.privacyshield.gov/ (“Privacy Shield Principles”), to all data that Smaato transfers to Demand Partner that originates from the European Economic Area or Switzerland when that information meets the definition of “personal data” in the Privacy Shield Principles (“European Data”). For clarity, Demand Partner agrees to (a) use European Data only for advertising and analytics purposes consistent with these Demand Policies (if Demand Partner receives European Data as a “controller” as defined by the Privacy Shield Principles) or only on behalf of Smaato (if Demand Partner receives European Data as an “agent” of Smaato as such term is used in the Privacy Shield Principles); (b) notify Smaato upon Demand Partner’s determination that Demand Partner can no longer provide this level of protection to European Data; and (c) upon such determination, cease use of the European Data or take other reasonable and appropriate steps to remediate the situation (without prejudice to Smaato’s rights of termination and rights to seek legal and equitable relief).
Please contact [email protected] with any questions regarding these Demand Policies.