Smaato was founded 14 years ago on August 18, 2005 in Silicon Valley. To celebrate Smaato’s latest birthday, we are sharing 14 little-known facts about the company, its employees, and its offices.
1. Smaato started as an app for calculating mobile billing costs.
The company was founded at Ragnar Kruse and Petra Vorsteher’s dining room table in San Mateo, Calif. in 2005. The company then pivoted in 2006 to become the first mobile SSP.
2. Phonetically, Smaato means smart in Japanese.
Don’t believe us? Click the sound icon under the Japanese translation on the right to hear the pronunciation of the Japanese word for “smart” (スマート).
3. Smaato employees are called Smaaties.
If you are interested in joining the team and becoming a Smaatie yourself, check out the jobs section of our website.
4. Smaato employs 70 engineers.
That includes a team of machine learning specialists that are helping to build Smaato’s next generation of machine learning and AI-based in-app advertising solutions.
5. Smaato is home to employees of 40+ unique nationalities.
And Smaaties can speak 28 different languages!
6. Over 7,000 messages are exchanged by Smaaties on Slack each day.
The #random channel has 1,601 posts, but you’ll have to become a Smaatie to see what messages and memes are exchanged there. 😉
7. Our Instagram handle is @smaato.
Check out our profile to see over 100 photos of what life at Smaato is like.
View this post on Instagram
8. Have you ever wondered how you could get the exact shade of Smaato blue? It’s Pantone 298!
The hex color code is #4bbbeb, and the RGB color code is 75,187,235.
9. Speaking of Smaato blue, the color was chosen because it is symbolic of the mobile ecosystem.
The radio waves through which mobile phones send and receive signals travel through the air and water, both of which inspired the unique shade of our company color.
10. We have a dedicated Market Quality team that is committed to establishing a protected marketplace for both our publishers and demand partners.
We have established partnerships with top ad fraud detection providers such as GeoEdge, Forensiq, and The Media Trust.
11. Smaato attended 93 events in 2018!
This includes engineering meet-ups and hackathons organized by Smaaties to bring together the local developer communities at our global offices.
12. Nearly 20% of Smaaties have worked for the company for 5 years or longer.
4% of employees have been at Smaato for 10+ years, and the average Smaatie has been with the company for 3 years.
13. According to Smaato’s IT department, the operating systems used by Smaaties across Smaato’s global offices are split by 48% Mac, 41% Windows, and 11% Linux.
You can probably guess in which department most of the Linux users work.
14. All Smaato offices are carefully designed and arranged according to the rules of Feng Shui.
This includes our new Innovation Lab in our Hamburg office.
Want to stay up-to-date with all things Smaato? Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. And if Smaato sounds like the kind of place that you’d like to work, check out our open positions.